This is an open review blog. If you want to contribute, leave a comment or email me. If it's good, or if it sucks, or if it's ok, we want to hear about it. Oh hell yeah.

Monday, November 21, 2005

North Country

I finally got to go see North Country this past weekend. What with being a law student in Minnesota and all, it was basically a requirement. I was actually pleasantly surprised, though. I had heard that it was basically Oscar bait, weepy, overly dramatic, etc. But, actually, I thought it was really well done, and not that weepy at all. Kind of gross and disturbing at times, but not all that over the top.
Granted, this movie made me kind of disgusted in humanity, and made me question the truth of "Minnesota Nice." I mean, this movie took place in 1989. 1989! Women were being treated like that at work 15 years ago? That's disgusting. It's disgusting that it ever happened, of course, but even more disgusting that it was so recent. Man, I feel old that 1989 is kind of recent. But that's not the point.
Other than the obvious location/legal interest, though, I don't really know why anyone would go see this movie. Was it amazing? No. Was it all that informative? Not terribly more than the trailer, no. Was it enjoyable? Not exactly, it was more disturbing that anything. But I suspect it'll be Oscar bait anyway. At least the scenery is beautiful.

I still heart MN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home