Brokeback Mountain -- Gay Cowboys and So Much More
So...the gay cowboy movie finally came to Minneapolis. It only took about 7 days longer than it did to get to the coasts, but it was a long wait for some people I know. The general consensus, though, is that it was worth it. Instead of being a really really sappy chick flick (like I thought it would be) it was, actually, quite beautiful. The beginning of the film took it's time getting things rolling, but in the best kind of way. There were views of the Rockies, views of sheep, and views of hot boys in cowboy hats and tight pants. I have to say, I was very happy.
The story did get a little weepy, as was expected. But it wasn't overly tear-jerking. And it never seemed strained, or fake. Which is pretty impressive, considering the movie was pretty long, and took place over something like twenty years. The boys started getting weird facial hair in the '70s, and Jake's wife, Anne Hathaway, went from being a very hot brunette to a less hot woman with light brown hair to a fairly unattractive blonde, but otherwise everyone stayed fairly attractive, and the audience where I was (I'm guessing women, gay men, and film buffs/critics) seemed fairly happy. Which is to say that by the end everyone was sobbing.
I was told that one shouldn't refer to this as "the gay cowboy movie" for at least two reasons. The first is obviously that this can't be the only gay cowboy movie out there, as westerns are a pretty gay genre. The second is that this movie is so much more than just a gay cowboy movie. If by "so much more" you mean that it's also a good movie, well done, well acted, and not about sex at all, then you would be right. If by so much more you mean that boy-on-boy love (not physical so much, you understand, but love in the metaphysical sense) is not by and large the focal point of the movie, then you would be wrong. But I don't think it really matters. It's up for tons of awards which, in this fairly dismal year of sequels and prequels and spin-offs, is totally justified, and it's getting a wide audience. Heath and Jake were on the cover of Entertainment Weekly (where it is proven that even men who are movie stars cannot groom themselves when they don't have someone else tell them how to shave or cut their hair), and the world at large seems fairly ok with there being a gay cowboy movie, and it being nominated for tons of stuff. What next? One of the desperate housewives pretending to be a male-to-female transsexual? Oh yeah, that movie is already out in some places. Welcome to the future.
On a side note, Heath Ledger must be the best-dressed cowboy on film. Every one of his shirts was beautiful, his hats were sexy and his pants fit…really well. I think the costume designer deserves some sort of medal.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home