Breakfast on Pluto -- Glam Rock + IRA = Good Stuff

Did you ever wonder what would happen if the director of The Crying Game decided to make Velvet Goldmine? I have to say, I never really did, but I think now I know. It would be Breakfast on Pluto, and it would be, among other things, fabulous.
The movie follows the adventures of Patrick "Kitten" Braden (Cillian Murphy) as he leaves Ireland to move to London and find his mommy, who left him at the doorstep of a church when he was born. Patrick is not like other boys. Oh no. He just wants to wear pretty clothes and have a good time. He doesn't understand why everything has to be so "serious, serious, serious" (Kitten's favorite phrase). He has the obligatory black female friend (see the British Queer as Folk, etc.) who loves him anyway and, oh yeah, his other friend who is in the IRA. That would be the Irish Republican Army. And you know what that means. Lots of shit blows up.
This movie was far more serious than I thought it was going to be, what with the gun running and the explosions and all. And it's not quite as pretty as Velvet Goldmine, though that is a tough thing to live up to. But if you like semi-political movies that are not trying to confuse you all the time, this might be for you. Cillian Murphy is really great as the fun-loving but still tortured Kitten. He just keeps getting better. 28 Days Later was my first exposure to him, and I was hooked. He had a small but excellent part in Girl With A Pearl Earring. He was genuinely creepy in Batman Begins. And though I'm sure Red Eye is a horrible film, he looked very convincingly scary in the trailer. But here...he just shines. I mean, he was nominated for a Golden Globe. Which isn't saying all that much, but for a movie like this, I think it means something.
Right, so...I liked it. I liked it a lot. It made me cry but, then, things blowing up tend to do that to me. If you want a little politics and history to go with your glam rock, or if you want a little glam rock to go with your IRA film, then this is the way to go. And if you ever meet Cillian Murphy, let him know that I think he should be the next indie film heartthrob. As if he isn't already.
21 Comments:
each time i used to read smaller posts that as well clear their motive,
and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am reading here.
Also visit my weblog :: loft bed 8 foot ceiling
My web site :: chaupal.biharfoundation.in
4:54 PM
You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write.
The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.
My website http://cscs.nongov.in/
12:57 PM
Thanks to my father who stated to me regarding this website,
this web site is truly amazing.
Feel free to surf to my site - exercises for vertical jump
1:46 AM
Greate post. Keep writing such kind of information on your page.
Im really impressed by your blog.
Hello there, You have done a fantastic job.
I'll certainly digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I'm confident
they will be benefited from this web site.
Feel free to surf to my page; workouts to improve vertical jump
10:05 AM
I like the valuable information you provide in your
articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I'm quite sure I
will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
my webpage :: exercises to jump higher exercises to improve vertical exercises to improve vertical jump exercises to improve vertical leap exercises to increase vertical exercises to increase vertical jump exercises to increase vertical leap exercises for vertical exercises for vertical jump exercises for vertical leap workouts to jump higher workouts to improve vertical workouts to improve vertical jump workouts to improve vertical leap workouts to increase vertical workouts to increase vertical jump workouts to increase vertical leap workouts for vertical workouts for vertical jump workouts for vertical leap vertical jump exercises vertical leap exercises vertical jump workouts vertical leap workouts
1:43 AM
When some one searches for his required thing, therefore he/she wishes to be available
that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.
Feel free to visit my web blog; http://gorleyadventure.Blogspot.com
5:42 PM
Hi! I understand this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask.
Does running a well-established blog like yours require a large amount of work?
I am brand new to operating a blog however
I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!
Feel free to surf to my blog post how to jump higher
1:17 AM
Hi there i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere,
when i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible paragraph.
my web site; pereche.ro
8:40 AM
Marvelous, what a webpage it is! This weblog provides helpful
information to us, keep it up.
my web page ... Vertical Jump Exercises
5:16 AM
Right here is the right blog for everyone who really wants to find
out about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that
I actually would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic that has been written about
for decades. Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!
My web page ... verticaljump.einfohound.com
5:14 PM
Wow, fantastic weblog layout! How lengthy have you been running a blog for?
you made running a blog look easy. The full look of your website
is great, as smartly as the content!
Feel free to visit my website - vertical jump workouts
5:21 AM
Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.
Here is my web page ... exercises for vertical leap
10:50 AM
Hi there I am so excited I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am here now
and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I
don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in
your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up
the excellent jo.
Here is my blog post :: exercises to increase vertical leap
10:16 PM
It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.
Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.
I wish to read even more things about it!
Here is my blog - workouts to increase vertical
1:41 AM
You're so interesting! I don't suppose I've truly read anything like this before. So nice to find another person with unique thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This website is something that's needed on
the internet, someone with a little originality!
my homepage ... vertical jump exercises
8:51 AM
Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the web the easiest thing
to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people
consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top
and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a
signal. Will probably be back to get more.
Thanks
my weblog workouts to improve vertical leap
4:03 PM
Hi there would you mind letting me know which webhost you're using? I've
loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster
then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a
fair price? Thank you, I appreciate it!
my web page workouts to improve vertical leap
2:40 PM
Very good article. I definitely appreciate this website.
Continue the good work!
my web page; exercises to improve vertical
3:44 PM
This page truly has all the info I needed about this subject and didn't know who to ask.
Look into my webpage ... workouts to increase vertical
6:07 PM
I've been surfing on-line greater than three hours as of late, but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is pretty price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you did, the web shall be a lot more useful than ever before.
Also visit my site - http://Guuker.com/
7:53 PM
whoah this weblog is great i love reading your articles.
Stay up the good work! You know, many individuals are looking around for this information, you could aid them greatly.
Feel free to visit my web site ... auckland.ac.nz
1:24 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home